Pinterest

Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Short Yarn


Blog 197 – Thursday, July 16, 2009
Standing up from my chair in the den, I reached down to pick up what I thought was a piece of yarn from the floor. As I reached for the scrap, it moved – a tiny, Southern Ring Neck Snake! Harmless, I gently picked the little fellow up in my hand as I carefully examined it. No bigger than a piece of a shoelace, it coiled up meekly in my palm. These snakes are frequent visitors on our lanai – sometimes ending up as “offerings” from my kitties at my bedroom doorstep but this one had made its way into the den. Seeking a quick getaway, I transferred him to a Chinese take-out cup and moved him to a landscape rock just outside the door. Mud burrowers, this recent newcomer made his way over the rock and into the moist soil below. The evening was warm and heavy with humidity, the moon overhead waning. Walking back up to the porch, I wondered if he was thankful to be released back into familiar territory, I know I was thankful for the brief, beautiful encounter with yet another of the many creatures which make their home in my Enchanted Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment