Pinterest

Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Dash Between


Blog 198 – Friday, July 17, 2009 Sunny, hot and temperatures in the 90’s.
Sentimental blood running through my veins, my heart skipped in my chest. A faithful reader of my blogs, my sister sent me an article containing a short poem, which she said, sounded like a springboard to another blog. She surely has figured out that I am increasingly more prompted to write with introspect as of late. My most recent birthday caused me to realize that the years have gone fleeting by, thus leaving me with a myriad of collected references and experiences. I have remarked more than once that “I am finally getting the hang of this thing called life and I wonder where all those years have gone!?” Always somewhat of a “Pollyanna”, I tend to think the best of people and circumstances. Couple that with my relaxed but steadfast relationship with God and, I awaken each new day with an optimistic outlook and eager anticipation of the day’s holdings, always expecting a miracle and an adventure. My adult stature has for decades included the pure joys of childhood pleasures – always leaving room to play and indulge in creative fun. The small things stoke my energy and curiosity – a butterfly on the wing, the vigorous strokes of washable marker made on paper by my grandson, The pattern of shadows falling on the sidewalk just outside my window, or the caws of my resident Raven, Heckle, as he gathers many species of fowl together to feast from the feeders in my Enchanted Garden. So, when I read the poem entitled, The Dash by Linda Ellis, and pondered the challenged it offered to make the most of the dash between our birth and death dates before it was too late, I took mental inventory. Not famous or celebrated, my life to date consists of small vignettes of happenings. A daughter, grand-daughter, niece, sister, student, friend, wife, teacher, aunt, mother, mother-in-law, grandmother and woman of God – I do strive to fill that dash of my life in a meaningful manner and pray that “the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer” – Psalm 19:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment