Pinterest

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rodentia Gardeners


Blog 133 – Wednesday, May 13, 2009 Mixed clouds and sun – hot temperatures in the upper 80’s – no rain today.
Scampering squirrels, digging in the butterfly section of my garden, moved me to curiosity. Donning my garden Crocs, I made my way to the south side of the garden where I notice three unfamiliar plants springing from the moist, black topsoil near the Milkweed plants. Moving closer to these random sprouts, I see nutshells scattered here and there – empty and void of fruit. Pesky little critters – I quickly scoop up the empty shells and reach out to pluck the invading seedlings from the earth – getting a firm grasp at the base of the foreign flora – I give it a solid jerk. To my utter surprise, I realize I have extracted a peanut plant! My little Rodentia had been doing some cultivating of their own! From a nearby limb, I hear a scolding chatter – turning my head toward the racket – I make eye contact with a fellow gardener and, suddenly I am regretful that I have destroyed the toil of his cultivation efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment