Pinterest

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

They're Back



Blog 160 – Tuesday, June 9. 2009 Sunny with temperatures in the upper 80’s.
They’re back – today my sister spotted a pair of Sandhill Cranes at the mouth of our cul-de-sac. Running out to throw corn on the driveway, they turned to look at me. Urged by my sister, ("Go over there, they know you.") I walked toward them, handsful of corn, softly clucking. Tossing the corn and turning to walk back to the house, they walked gently and with purpose behind me. Soon, they were crossing the neighbor’s lawn to ours – they had come back! It was the same pair of Sandhill Cranes that I had fed two seasons ago – fondly naming them Sanderson and Hillary. They turned the corner, around the house and to the backyard – walking around, they circled back and pecked the grass on their way back to the driveway. Stopping only for a moment, they stood still, their eyes sharply focused on the pan of corn I had put out for them. After eating, they meandered their way out of the cul-de-sac and flew away. I hope they return tomorrow – their pan of corn will be waiting for them.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment